I’m very excited to announce the launch of the “Getting to Government: A Guide for High Achievers” brought to you by the Robertson Foundation for Government, a nonprofit family foundation dedicated to helping government meet its talent needs by identifying, educating, and motivating top U.S. graduate students to pursue federal government careers, and GovLoop, the leading knowledge network for government.
Last year, we launched this site PathtoPMF.com as the “go-to” guide for prospective candidates to ace the Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) application process. The response to the website and guide was extremely awesome with over 1,750 guide downloads, 220+ site comments, and 65,000 page views since its launch.
Through our research on the PMF guide and our work with Robertson Fellows, we found there was a large need for assisting high-achievers to get into government positions beyond programs like PMF. In 2012, more than 9,000 individuals applied for only 628 PMF finalist spots. That leaves over 8,000 smart, young, passionate folks who would be a great asset to our government, and who have an obvious interest in a public sector career, with no clear direction where to turn next.
We found that many people – not just PMF applicants – have a hard time understanding USAJOBS and other hiring and fellowship programs, so that’s why we partnered with the Robertson Foundation for Government to create this guide.
“Getting Into Government: A Guide for High Achievers” is a blend of succinct information and anecdotal insight from more than a dozen of the top career experts as well as current government employees who know how to navigate the government application process. The High Achiever guide is a comprehensive resource for every stage of the application and hiring process, including:
- Understanding how to set up a search on USAJOBS.gov and filter out jobs that aren’t a good fit,
- Breaking down special hiring programs and lesser known international and intelligence jobs,
- Defining terms like grade and series, and offering insider tips on finding top opportunities
- Revealing a step-by-step explanation of what happens during the application review process,
- Sharing concrete tips for crafting a government-specific resume, and
- Giving insight on proactive network building and how to conduct an informational interview
To download the guide and get full details, please go to PathtoPMF.com/GetIntoGov – and please let us know any of your career questions (or your personal career search tips) by commenting below or emailing us at andrew at govloop.com